Monday 7 November 2011

Organising my Daughter- Part 2

Still on my mission to create a sense of calm in the house, I sat down to think about what other day to day events create arguments between my eldest daughter and me. Now that i have solved the "getting ready for school" arguments that were happening frequently,  and put a stop to the "i forgot i was supposed to do that" dance that seemed to occur when asking her to do her chores, the next most common disturbances in the force happen at homework and room cleaning times.  So what can i do to help ease the tension....


To figure this out i had to find out what it was about each job that she having trouble with. When it came to cleaning her room, i found that it was the "big picture" that daunted her. Seeing a big amount of mess and not knowing where to start. So i went in and i cleaned her room myself, taking note of what jobs i did and what order i did them in. I then made a list and printed it out. I waited until the next time her room required cleaning and pulled out the list and went into her room with her. Together we followed the list and cleaned her room, one job at a time. Now that she knows what is expected and can see the steps stuck up on her bedroom wall, there have been fewer fights about room cleaning. I consider this as a WIN.

Here is a copy of our Room Cleaning List



Next problem to tackle...the homework fights. I am not silly.... I do not expect to be able to solve these. But what i can do is try to prevent some of the tension from the lead up to homework time. I'm sure that most of you can sympathise with my daughters usual homework stalling techniques. 1st it always seems to take my daughter at least 10 mins to locate her homework book, next her pencil seems to disappear. Once the pencil has been located it of course requires sharpening, and yep you guessed it...  the sharpener has conveniently vanished. By this time i am starting to reach my boiling point. How can you have no idea where any of these things are when you were only using them yesterday??

My solution... a homework station. I went to office works and i bought a pretty pink desk accessory stand. I put her homework book into one of the slots. i filled the little cup holes with all her other homework needs. in the top cup there are coloured pencils and ruler, the middle cup has lead pencils, and a pair of safety scissors, the bottom cup holds an eraser and a pencil sharpener. Now that everything is in the same place im hoping the only stress left for homework time is getting to write neatly. 

This is our new pink homework caddy



4 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    Just discovered you, I love the look of your blog BTW! Really feminine and eye catching. Congrats on the 11 week old (perhaps they are older now?) and I have to say i am super impressed that you stillseem to be posting regularlye ven with a newborn to care for. It's reassuing for a pregnant-with-no.2-blogger like me. I'll be back!
    - Park Confessional

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There, Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!! Little miss 11 weeks is now 4 months old. Congrats on baby number 2! how exciting!!!
    my blogging seems to be a bit all over the place lately.. i think i need to choose designated blogging days, help to organise things more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work on getting your daughter organised. I love your homework station!
    Thanks for popping by my blog and linking up

    ReplyDelete
  4. came to visit you via Becci's Domestic Bliss... love the idea of the homework station - can totally relate to the homework arguments... and the room cleaning arguments... and the getting ready for school arguments... etc. etc. etc.

    off to explore your blog some more - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete